Watch the video tour (2:12) Unlimited FTP accounts included with every web hosting plan. Already have hosting somewhere else? Coming from another hosting provider? We’ll transfer your site to our hosting for free.
How FTP Hosting Works
See what our FTP hosting can do for your business. Imagine this… your company has many people that work at different locations. You need an easy way to setup user accounts so that each of your employees can easily transfer files, while you—the captain in charge of the operation—maintains control.
Get online in minutes! Here’s how…
- Order Now.
- Login to your cPanel control panel.
- Add and manage FTP and user accounts associated with your domain with a few clicks.
Manage Your Files
Our hosting platform includes cPanel, which comes complete with a pre-configured and easy to use FTP server.
WEB HOSTING NOW 40% OFF!
Get All This for $3.95 $2.97/mo.
- Free Domain Name
- 1-Click App Installer
- 30-Day Guarantee
- 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
- Unlimited mySQL
- Unlimited Disk & Traffic
- Unlimited Email Accounts
- 24/7 Security Monitor
Create FTP Accounts
You login to your cPanel control panel and from there—you create FTP user accounts with a few clicks. The cPanel control panel has everything you need to manage your web space within one, convenient interface. And GreenHostIt offers unlimited FTP accounts with each hosting plan.
Adding an FTP account will allow users to access the domain’s folder on the server’s hard disk.
- Configure an FTP account.
- Delete an account.
- Adjust a quota.
- Change a password.
FTP Password Control
The most common FTP issue can easily be fixed within your cPanel control panel. If a FTP password isn’t working (or you forgot your FTP password), you can easily reset it with a few clicks. This feature gives you—the webmaster—complete control over your FTP accounts.
To change the password for a FTP account:
- Log into cPanel.
- Click FTP Accounts.
- Under Account Management, locate the correct account and click Change Password.
Busy professionals on-the-go will appreciate our easy to use File Manager. With the File Manager, you can manipulate files within your web hosting space. The File Manager tool bar can be seen in the screenshot, below.
With the File Manager, you can perform these important management tasks, easily.
- New File button – creates a new file with a user-defined file extension.
- New Folder button – creates a new folder in which files can be stored.
- Copy button – copies selected items to a directory you specify.
- Move File button – allows selected files to be moved to a new directory.
- Upload button – allows new files to be uploaded to a specified directory.
- Download button – downloads selected files to your computer.
- Delete button – deletes selected files from the server.
- Rename button – allows a selected file to be renamed.
- Edit button – opens an editor for the selected text or HTML files.
- Code Editor button – opens a code editor for the selected HTML or PHP files.
- HTML Editor button – opens an editor specifically intended for HTML files.
- Change Permissions button – allows the read/write permissions to be changed for selected files.
- View button – opens the selected files for viewing.
- Extract button – decompresses and extracts a compressed file to a specified directory.
- Compress button – will compress selected files to a single *.zip, *.Gz, *.Bz2, or *.tar archive and store the zipped file to a specified directory.
Certain functions of the File Manager are designed for use with 1 file at a time. Any attempt to rename, edit, or view multiple files at once will open only one file — the file listed first in the directory.
The Compress button will compress selected files to a single *.zip, *.Gz, *.Bz2, or *.tar archive and store the zipped file to a specified directory. This is helpful if you are sending a file by email. A lot of the download time generated by attached files is unnecessary, so, compress files before sending them via email.
The Backup Wizard is a user-friendly interface for creating a backup of your entire site, a partial backup, or allowing a site restoration from the last backup saved.
To begin, first select whether you would like to back up or restore your website.
- Back up your entire site
- Create a partial backup
- Restore a portion of your site
- Important information about your backups
- Exclude files from a backup
FTP Server Configuration
This feature allows you to tailor your FTP server’s behavior to your preferences.
For more information about your FTP server, see:
- ProFTPd documentation at https://www.proftpd.org/docs/.
- Pure-FTPd documentation at https://www.pureftpd.org/project/pure-ftpd/doc.
Although we recommend that anonymous users be barred from uploading files to your FTP server because this allows anyone to upload malicious software to your website, anonymous FTP can be useful in other circumstances.
Anonymous FTP can be helpful when you—the webmaster—intends to allow visitors without FTP accounts to download files from a website. Although it poses security risks and should only be used by experienced webmasters, anonymous FTP can be convenient if the site owner wishes to make files publicly available for downloading. When setting up anonymous FTP, it is important to protect any sensitive information by changing file permissions and directory access permissions.