- 1 Dallas Focuses on Sustainability Issues
- 2 Dallas goes Green
- 3 Dallas, Texas Goes Green
- 4 Green initiatives for companies
- 5 Green web hosting
- 6 Not sure how to choose a web host? Read this!
- 7 Find a great web host for your site.
- 8 Green goals for companies:
- 9 What can my company do in Dallas, Texas to Go Green?
- 10 Examples of partners in Dallas who are participating in green (in a big way!)
- 11 Green tips for homeowners in Dallas
- 12 Tips for homeowners to save on electricity and go green
- 13 Dallas web hosting and green initiatives
Dallas Focuses on Sustainability Issues
Green is the new standard for building in Dallas and no longer ‘just an option.’
Dallas goes Green
The Dallas City Council passed a new green construction requirement/ordinance aimed at reducing energy and water consumption in ALL new houses and commercial buildings. Dallas is one of the first major U.S. cities to pass a comprehensive building standard for both residential and commercial construction. To read more about the ordinance, GreenDallas.net Click on “Green Buildings”.
Dallas, Texas Goes Green
Dallas has been selected as the first city in the nation to partner with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the North Central Texas Council of Governments on a program focusing on sustainability issues, particularly air quality. The Sustainable Skylines Initiative involves completing several three-year projects to reduce air emissions. Because of the success experienced in Dallas, the EPA is using the program as a national model for other cities. Web hosting Dallas is one tech industry in Dallas that is expanding into the green sector.
Green initiatives for companies
Consider a green hosting provider for your website. Texas web hosting providers are an excellent starting point for your research. Find a Texas web host that offers green hosting, and from there–you can begin researching the company until you make your choice.
Green web hosting
If you are environmentally conscious, consider using a green web host. Green web hosts are dedicated to using alternative energy sources, such as wind power, to power their web servers for their hosting. The features and customer service offered to clients are usually no different than those offered by non-green hosts, so you will not need to make any sacrifices for choosing green.
As you have seen, finding a web host that offers the features you need for your website does not have to be a difficult ordeal. If you use the advice you have read in this article, you should be well prepared to select a web hosting provider that is right for you.
Dallas leads the way in green data centers. The SoftLayer data center located in Dallas is twice as efficient and uses half the energy than traditional data centers.
The Green Data Center offers:
- Representative member of the Green Grid – furthering our commitment to environmentally friendly operations
- Representative member of the Uptime Institute, a prestigious knowledge consortium where global standards and best practices are created and delivered to maintain system uptime and availability
- State-of-the-art data center built from the ground up with the goal of being more energy efficient – provides twice the efficiency and uses half the energy of many existing data centers and it is expected that the data center will achieve a 1.3 “co-efficiency of efficiency” ranking, which is well below the 1.6 “ideal” rating.
Not sure how to choose a web host? Read this!
If you are starting your own website, you may have heard how difficult it can be to find a great web hosting service. As with many things, it is only difficult if you do not know what you are doing.
Find a great web host for your site.
Determine how many databases you currently require, and expect to require in the future. Keep in mind that you will need additional databases for each new domain that you add to your web hosting package. You might need to invest in another hosting package if you run out of databases, even if you have room to add more domains. Find out if it is possible to expand the package you are considering, and add additional databases if the need arises.
Be aware that if you use site templates to create your website, the monthly web hosting fees will almost always be higher. This is because you will be constantly accessing their online tools to update your site, thus creating more use on their system. Though it can easy for a beginner to build a site this way, consider the cost effectiveness of hiring a professional designer up front, and saving much more than that on monthly fees.
When you are choosing a web hosting company, it is important that you rely on more than just one or two pieces of advice on a recommendation. Many recommendations are from people who haven’t even experienced the web hosting company that they are recommending. Choose wisely, do your research, and know many things about the company that you choose.
Green goals for companies:
Become a partner with the Dallas Sustainable Skylines Initiative!
There are several suggested projects falling under five categories in which businesses may participate.
- Enhanced Central City Livability
- Promote Green Buildings and Development
- Implement and Promote Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency Reduce Emissions from Stationary Sources
- Area Sources Reduce Off-Road Emissions
Benefits to being a partner include: Positive publicity Economic growth with state-of-the-art environmental protection Potential for credit under the Clean Air Act State Implementation Plan program. Reduced population pollutant exposure enhances livability in the not only Dallas, but the entire state of Texas.
What can my company do in Dallas, Texas to Go Green?
Reuse rain water. This can be done using a rain barrel attached to a rain chain or drain spout. You can reuse this water to water your garden or lawn, fill a birdbath or even wash your windows. Many people use it in their house as well to flush toilets.
Make sure that your air vents aren’t blocked in some way. Blocked air vents can lead to increased energy usage due to the fact that you will turn up the cooling in your home because you don’t feel the air coming out. Thoroughly inspect them to ensure nothing is blocking the air. If there is, you’ll be surprised at the difference once you eliminate the problem.
In fact, your company may already be doing these things!
Examples of partners in Dallas who are participating in green (in a big way!)
Here are some examples of what current partners are doing/have committed to do:
- Yellow Cab is buying and operating cleaner cabs (hybrids, etc).
- Habitat for Humanity is teaching people how to build ‘green’ homes.
- Agriboard is donating labor for the construction of a new public library.
- Green Mountain Energy donated 5,000 CFL bulbs for distribution to Dallas residents.
- FOX4 is promoting green practices within its own facilities and hosted environmental events.
Green tips for homeowners in Dallas
- Invest in solar power for your home. Adding a few solar panels to your roof can actually decrease the cost of heating or cooling your home by up to 50%! Talk to a professional about where best to install them on your roof, as the placement is very important to get the optimal amount of direct sunlight.
- Use solar water heaters as a great alternative to heating water with electricity. They use the sun’s energy to heat water for use in your home or business. The ideal location for a solar water heating system is a south-facing roof that is not shaded. Current technologies allow the system to blend in with your roof so as not to detract from your home.
- If your exhaust fans are more than five years old, consider replacing them with newer more efficient models. Each year you should examine each exhaust fan in your home for damage and replace the filter. A damaged exhaust fan uses more energy and changing the filter allows the fan to work more efficiently.
Tips for homeowners to save on electricity and go green
- If you are trying to save on your electricity bill, try to use your ceiling fan more in the summer. A ceiling fan can help to make any room feel about 10 degrees cooler, and it costs much less to run than an air conditioner does. You will be saving money and also using less electricity, meaning you’re doing something great for the environment.
- If your dishwasher was made before 1994, replace it with a new, high-efficiency model to save both electricity and water. Modern dishwashers use fewer gallons per load than older units, and they come with a wider variety of settings that allow you to customize your energy usage based on the size of the load.
- Consider opting for a solar hot water heating system. If you must use hot water to run your dishwasher or do your laundry, a solar hot water system can benefit you. If you live in an area where freezing is not a concern, a direct circulation system will be perfect for you.
- People looking to go green would be wise to use oil lanterns to light up their homes. Oil lanterns don’t use any electricity at all, and there are even some lanterns out there that will run on used vegetable oil that you can easily get from restaurants or your own kitchen.
- If you are still using a more traditional source of energy, invest in a programmable thermostat. This will let you pre-set your temperatures for both day and night times. This leads to savings in both money and energy as during the night many people allow their homes to cool down via the natural decrease in temperature.
Dallas web hosting and green initiatives
Dallas companies are looking for more green initiatives and ways to not only improve their company’s bottom line, but also to portray a corporate culture to the Internet community that shows responsibility, a concern for the environment, and initiatives to be more green.