Avoid These Common SEO Mistakes
Website success on the Internet is all about search engine traffic. And search engine success is all about careful planning. But not to worry. Your website hosting provider is here to make it easy and simple.
Table of Contents
- 1 Well-designed and frequently updated website
Well-designed and frequently updated website
Your website alone isn’t going to drive your business model, but a combination of a well-designed and frequently updated website along with highly-targeted search engine traffic will help to grow your business, and your bottom line!
Avoid the five most common search engine optimization (SEO) mistakes.
1. No value Proposition
Ask yourself. why would a user choose my site from my competitors in the search results? What differentiates your sites from the others?
- Are you a non profit?
- Do you offer free estimates?
- How are you different from other websites? You should emphasize your strengths, for example, “We are the oldest independent dealer in the city.”
If you run an ecommerce site, you can emphasize value propositions such as:
- Low prices
- Free shipping
- Better product descriptions
Searchers on the Internet need a value proposition to motivate them to click on your site in Google’s search results, return to your site and recommend your site to their friends.
2. A Segmented Approach to SEO
Communication between marketing, business development and SEO teams must be cohesive. Working on seo “in a silo” is a mistake. Consider the entire user experience, from marketing campaign to conversion. Marketing team goals, for example, and seo team goals need to be aligned. Consider seo in an entire user experience.
3. Putting effort into time-consuming work around’s rather than researching new features or best practices
Putting effort into time-consuming work around’s rather than researching new features or best practices that can simplify your tasks. Webmasters, for example, usually update their sitemaps file each time new URL’s are added to their site, then upload the new sitemap file, but with Google’s “Webmaster Tools”, new URL’s can be setup to crawl through “fetch as Googlebot”. This eliminates the need to manually update and upload a sitemap file each time new content is added to your site. With “fetch as Googlebot”, new URL’s are usually crawled within 24 hours. Another real time-saver is to subscribe to the “Webmaster Central blog” for tips and knowledgeable techniques.
4. Getting Caught in SEO Trends
Webmasters are always working to get more users to visit, and then convert those users. But as the SEO market matured, the race to chase users and get them to convert split into two simultaneous races. Rather than chasing users, some SEO experts chased search engine algorithms. For example, instead of editing pages to contain the right keyword density (keywords per page), try to make content readable, informative and compelling. This is a better use of your time. Avoid SEO trends and prioritize the tasks that will bring lasting value to your website.
5. Slow Iteration
Search engine algorithms are constantly evolving, therefore, by their very nature—webmasters must be agile and constantly evolve too.
Tips for remaining agile include:
- Define metrics for success
- Implement improvements
- Measure impact
- Create new improvements
- Prioritize improvements based on market and resources
Good Practices in SEO
- Do something cool, create a value proposition.
- Include relevant keywords in your copy.
- Be smart about your tags title tags and description tags.
- Sign up for email forwarding in Google’s Webmaster Tools, so that notifications will be forwarded to your email account that you check regularly.
- Attract buzz which brings natural links to your website and positive reviews, as well as good votes and follows.
- Stay fresh and relevant. Expand your reach to social media sites or make sure your site is accessible on smart phones (if your product is great on-the-go).
Avoid these common SEO mistakes and, instead, focus on the good practices that can bring positive, lasting benefit to your website.